Sunday, December 10, 2017

Final blog


Medicine has always been part of our life, we take them and used them upon encountering with illnesses or diseases. The cure, it is our responsibility to explore it and search for it, in a way we can find measures to counter the circumstances. Drugs are not made to be perfect, not with the therapeutically effect to fight off all the diseases, but there are good drugs out there that have been researched over many times. It can cure but sometimes not, we take them for the main purpose of prolonging our life. Drugs is a wonderful thing; it is this enthusiasm that keeps me interested in medicine, which is in this blog, I’m researching about the FDA (Food Drug Administration). More in depth, I want to study the drug system of the FDA and how safe is the system. What I am hoping to gain from this research is a closer understanding of the FDA complex system, being able to see why they approach certain situation in this way and also see why is difficult to solve the task (by task I mean the problem inside the system). Although, throughout the research, I understand that all the finding will not guaranteed to satisfy from what I’m truly looking for, but with what is provided to me, to get me closer on understanding the system is enough to contemplate my curiosity.        

The FDA, also known as the Food Drug Administration, is an executive branch of the United States, responsible on regulating and protecting the public safety, such as food, drugs, medical devices, and items related to health… The FDA is comprised of many industries; they each regulate on specific tasks. In our case, the drug industry focuses on regulating drugs, alert the pharmaceutical companies, executing permission on approving new drugs, and etc... For my understanding of the drug industry, I want to focus on the system that regulates drugs and what kind of opinion does the public perceive. FDA do not test the drug, it is the company responsibility to test and send the information to the FDA. The process for a new drug approval follows a 6-7 steps before it released into the market. In the preclinical stage, the drug compound is studied, screened (a method of measuring the toxicology of the chemical), and it is tested on animal clinical trial. After the animal trial, the drug can be studies in human clinical trials. There are total of 3 stages for human clinical trials, on phase I, the drug is sampled on 100 patients without the disease/illnesses, at this stage is to evaluate whether the drug can be dangerous to healthy people. Phase II, the drug is tested on 100 patients with the disease the drug is corresponded to treat. Measure of the cells, information about the condition and side effect are recorded down. In Phase III, the study is conducted with 1000 patients with large variety of people (any kind of people can be studied), the process follows a similar study trial like in phase I and II, but in this case of the study, the data collected is larger, and have more way to measure the therapeutically effect of the drug. If overall the study has more positive result out weight the negatives one, the information could be ready to submitted for market approval. All the research stage data and information are compiled into monographs, the information, around 100,000 pages are then send to the FDA’s drug department for asset and evaluation. The time for the drug approval and decision will depend on the types of drug the company is interested on marketing. Like fast track, the drug is approved in less than 6 months, this only work if the medical condition is serious and haven’t found a cure to address the problem. Other drugs, responsible of targeting a large public (ex: heart problem, diabetes, and cancer…), the time for approval will depend on many factors, how many drugs is made up and how effective do they measure the clinical study. To get an acceptance and certification of their drug by the FDA, it means the pharma company is enable to manufacture the product, however, FDA does still keep a check on the drugs even if is approved. They require a report and data of the drugs every year to evaluate the drug process and efficacy. In my opinion, the FDA drug approval system has pros and cons effect, the pros it allows more drug to be researched and discovered. The cons are the approval rate is too fast, we do not know whether the pharmaceutical company submitted a truthful information about their research, because on some of my readings, they mentioned about FDA hiding drug awareness to the public. What the article found is that 700 reports provided from the pharma companies contain false information about their drugs. This could mean a big taboo to the FDA and an increase the concern by the public view. Of course for this error to happen in the FDA, it must mean there are some collusion going on inside the system. Since money plays a big role, the FDA gets most of their funding thru pharmaceutical companies and small from our taxes. It is dangerous to allow such person to continue and operate inside the system.

From my finding of this research, I think I learned a lot about the system. I didn’t know about FDA drug approval process, but one thing that shocked me is the information available on the internet. Some information provided can be very truth or false, depending on how the person judge on their words. However, even if they sprout negativity around, it is good to learn and understand from it, maybe the FDA can one or two learn from their mistakes. A mistake always makes a person perfect if he/she pursuit for the changes.

What got me into researching this topic? Well, I took a course about medicinal plants and I learned a lot about traditional medicine. I thought maybe is a good thing if the U.S. hospital also practice herbal healing and traditional therapeutically practice, I think this could reduce the diseases problem in the U.S. Like acupuncture, it is a good alternative approach to remove pain rather than using drugs. As drugs could sometimes contain side effect or addict the person in the case like the opium addiction that is still happening in this country. FDA does not regulate herbal supplemental drugs under on one condition, they are not allowed to make claims on their drugs. If they follow the FDA rules, they wouldn’t have a problem in the market. Otherwise law cases and other political conflict will follow. Now, the last finding of my research, it based on a survey regard on public opinion about the FDA’s drug. From the poll survey, it shows that majority of the people feel safe with the FDA, and from 2016-2017, the public perception of seeing the FDA safe is increased a little bit. This mean people think the FDA is doing a great job. In this case it is true, the FDA has been trying hard on fixing many things that has sprouted around them. They have been carefully removing certain dangerous drug in the market, despite it took them long to commit the action. I think the FDA’s drug system is improving but at a slow rate. To me they seem to be putting more effort in securing the drug safety of the public, as they are investing more time in redesigning the system. I can understand why the system is slow, because to start with the organization is not very big enough to tackle all the adversities at once. New drugs discovery is not easy to regulate either, as the pharma companies have to invest a vast of resources into producing a less dangerous one to the public. The time average to make and get a new drug approved by the FDA is about 12 years. The cost is around 2.6billion in order to get it into the market. This is very costly and time consuming as the pharmaceutical companies will try to find alternative ways get a faster result and approval rate. In the health care is also make sense on why sometime the drug are very expensive, because the drug has been through many research and evaluation by the FDA and drug companies. Once the drug established in the market, the pharma companies will try to earn back the cost they have spent on funding the project. Therefore, managing the system is still very complex under the FDA; FDA will try to find a better way to promote a better safety and security for the public.

6 comments:

  1. FDA plays a big role in our society. We rely on them to play gate keeper on the drugs we buy and take. Can we really trust them? I took a bio class where we discussed how vitamins are healthy and we should consider them however they can be deadlier than the actual drugs we take. In that class the professor talked about how vitamins don't go through testing, and the labels don't always warn for overdosing. I was shocked to hear that we have thousands of people who overdose on vitamins because the FDA doesn't regulate them. There are a lot of flaws in the system, I would've assumed the lease that the FDA cares about the pills and checks the results before they hit the market. One thing that also hit the most in your presentation was the time it takes the FDA to take down or force a drug company to change their labels or formulas. One would think that one death should do it but it was surprising to hear that it can take any number of years until the drug is taken off the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a Frontline video on Supplements and Safety. Supplements are not regulated and its (now) a $40 billion industry. Plus people will believe anything that has a "cure" for their ailment and who don't trust (or can't afford) a physician's recommendation. Another example of people's beliefs overcoming science is vaccinations, propped up by social media propaganda based on faulty research, but where people (and our President) will believe the internet, even though the study's have been debunked and the authors admit it as such. So, it's no wonder they get sick from unregulated supplements (and whooping cough has come back, and children have died). If it's not regulated (by FDA or schools requiring vaccinations). But taking drugs out of the market requires data, and doctors and others have often provided it to Congress before the FDA acts.

      Delete
  2. It was astounding to learn of the average cost for 1 drug to get into the market... $2.6B. When this was mentioned in the presentation I googled it as I thought it might be a typo or it might represent a yearly cost for all drugs for the average pharmaceutical company. Astonishingly it was in the billions and still growing. It is also surprising to learn that given such an expense, there are still so many errors when the product is finally approved and comes to market. Also, learning that a majority of the FDA funding comes from Pharma was alarming.

    The material was presented in a very clear and easy-to-understand presentation.

    It would be interesting to learn more about the number and rates of employees that worked for Pharma and now work for the FDA... and vice-versa. Its the industrial-military complex at work in healthcare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to learn that as well. I doubt we'll see it on the FDA website, but they got a grilling before Congress in April 2016 about their slow response to the opioid epidemic and allowing it to be used on children. I then read a paper from the head of the FDA summarizing their changes. I mentioned this to Fernando, but the FDA blog has links on it as well. https://blogs.fda.gov/fdavoice/index.php/tag/opioids/

      Delete
  3. I like that you spent this semester researching how the FDA approval process works. I was wondering once a drug is approved if you know what the re-certification or testing process is like? Does the FDA ever revisit the findings of passed drugs? I ask based on the articles we looked at regarding the misleading claims of OxyCotin, which is said to be a 12 hour drug but likely lasts for much less time. What would need to happen for there to be a retesting or recall done on a specific product.

    I also find it crazy that the average time to market is 12 years long. I wonder if there is a better and more expedited way to do this that could increase competition in the market? Overall interesting finds and nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure tthe following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Whooping cough 16. Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 .. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete